Cody Ruggirello, New NYS Career Wins Record Holder

Cody Ruggirello, New NYS Career Wins Record Holder

Postby T56 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:07 am

Nice Article:

February 13, 2010
CENTRAL VALLEY — Cody Ruggirello jogged in place as he checked his name at the scorer's table.

Ruggirello kept his legs moving as he headed to the center of the mat.

The opening whistle blew. Ruggirello attacked from the start.

Five seconds in, Monticello's Bill Latimer was in trouble. Ruggirello locked a single arm bar and hooked Latimer's other arm. Latimer fought and fought, longer than most. But it wasn't enough. The 135-pound Section 9 Division I quarterfinal was over in 48 seconds. A typical Ruggirello match.

Ruggirello received a big hug from his father and coach, Lou Ruggirello.

Cody Ruggirello's aunts Marie Spafford and Lynn Lawrence unveiled a banner that read, "Congratulations Cody Ruggirello, New NYS Career Wins Record Holder, 268 and counting."

"It means a lot to me but it means even more to my grandfather and my aunts," said Ruggirello, who broke the mark set by Central Square's Winky Shephard. "I was happy that I could make them proud."

Ruggirello's grandfather, Lou Ruggirello Sr., had the banner made. He's Cody's biggest fan. Before matches, he makes sure Cody has plenty of energy drinks and protein bars.

"He definitely cared about the wins records more than we did," Lou Ruggirello said.

Grandpa had to tell Cody he was approaching the record this week.

Cody isn't about compiling wins or records.

He'll win his fifth section title, tying a record, with two more wins Saturday.

"Right now I'm not thinking about anything like that," said Ruggirello, who pinned Newburgh Free Academy's Drake Dibella in 1:06 for win No. 269 in a quarterfinal. "I'll feel pretty good about myself when I get my state title this year. Then maybe I'll be satisfied with my high school career. But right now, I feel like I have to prove myself at the state level."

This is coming from a wrestler who won a state title as a freshman and finished second and third the past two seasons.

Another state title would complete Ruggirello's career. But his legacy in Section 9 — and maybe the state — are already cemented.

"He's a top-notch wrestler on and off the mat," said John Gartiser, a former three-time section champ at Monroe-Woodbury. "He's a state champ with a chance to win another. He'll have 275 wins when he's done. That puts him at the top of the list."

And Section 9 wrestling will have a huge void to fill when Ruggirello's career comes to end.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100213/SPORTS31/2130332
T56

Re: Cody Ruggirello, New NYS Career Wins Record Holder

Postby LImartin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:22 am

"Props" to the Ruggirellos !!! A Family of Wrestling !!!! Cody is in line for a replay showdown with Andrew Lenzi in Abany at the NYS Tourney.

without bursting the bubble....As long as kids are wrestling Varsity matches as 7th and 8th graders- WIN records will fall.

Congrats Cody Ruggirello.
LImartin
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Postby ArmBar78 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:46 am

Congratulations! Now that's a lot of wins.
ArmBar78
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby speakingtruths » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:06 pm

knowsmorethanyou wrote:Sounds like competition in NY is pretty weak. No way would he get those many wins in a good state.

Its really not the qulaity of wrestling, but like marty said....NY allows junior high kids to wrestle in HS giving them 2 xtra seasons to get wins. Many getting wins at a weight class not even recognized by most states or the NWCA.
speakingtruths
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bwh27 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:08 pm

knowsmorethanyou wrote:
speakingtruths wrote:
knowsmorethanyou wrote:Sounds like competition in NY is pretty weak. No way would he get those many wins in a good state.

Its really not the qulaity of wrestling, but like marty said....NY allows junior high kids to wrestle in HS giving them 2 xtra seasons to get wins. Many getting wins at a weight class not even recognized by most states or the NWCA.

What a joke then.

Your endless barrage of negative posts are pointless and annoying. Say something constructive for a change. Debate and disagreement are fine, but constant personal attacks compromise your credibility as a poster.

Yes NY's system is highly flawed, most New Yorkers will readily admit that, but they're still one of the toughest states in the country.
bwh27
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostThis post was deleted by Kimosabe on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:40 am.
Reason: foul language - personal attacks

Postby snapdown18 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:48 pm

I was in charge of seeding a tournament that Cody was entered in. He traveled all across the state, wrestling against many (10-12?) (and beating all but one) wrestlers who had at least qualified for the NY state tournament last season. Give the kid his props - he does seek out the best competition he can.
snapdown18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Old_n_Slow » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:54 pm

Section 9 isn't the strongest section for wrestling in NYS so that helps too.
Old_n_Slow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DBOZZZ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:18 am

speakingtruths wrote:

What about in KY or AL where they get to wrestle 90 matches in a season? What weights? 96lbs?
DBOZZZ
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby DBOZZZ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:19 am

knowsmorethanyou wrote:
speakingtruths wrote:

What a joke then.

Like all of your posts?
DBOZZZ
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby riderwrestlingfan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:12 am

Cody is my favorite wrestler ever. You deserve this honor. I remember when he quit wrestling during youth. But he came back stronger then ever (we knew he would). We love him and are so happy for him and his family.
riderwrestlingfan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby riderwrestlingfan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:19 am

knowsmorethanyou wrote:
speakingtruths wrote:

What a joke then.

What happens in NY stays in NY. Cody's record is a NY record. It is not acknowledging that he has a record outside of NY. All of NY has the same rules. So, if Cody has the NYS 'wins' record, than he has that record. Dont be negative or take the excitement out of his wins - he is still the NYS Wins record holder.
riderwrestlingfan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby LImartin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:08 am

Some of the BEST Wrestlers NYS has ever had - have come from Section IX. While the Section is "not deep" - it does have talent

Cody Ruggirello is one of the BEST Wrestlers in NYS
LImartin
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Postby LImartin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:43 am

knownoth'n,

What Nick Simmons was a "bad" wrestler ???...LOL. He was Nationally Ranked his whole career- and was talented in (2) Styles Nationally - through College - and beyond.

LMAO- He is a BAD example.

In NYS the record has fallen progressively since the early 2000s- WHY because of the starting age....and in some stuations it seems like some wrestlers get more matches in Upstate NY-or are allowed to add matches...AND yes, most arent doing this in the toughest Section of NYS-

Matt Herrington had the record/ Taylor Malone had the record in NYS...AND SO ON. Cody's record will be passed as well. Actually, any 7th grader that is wrestling Varsity in NYS has the chance at doing this. While it is a GREAT TASK to win over 200 matches- it does relate to the length of time on a Varsity mat AND yes, some of the competition....YET,

Cody Ruggirello is a multiple NYS Finalist- and is predicted to be center circle again this year. He is a D-1 recruit and is the "deal"....this is a great accomplishment for any wrestler

you should just find time reading 200 other threads- so you can have a record.
LImartin
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Postby LordNelson » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:13 am

The advent and popularity of the 2 day 10 match dual meet tournament has killed the integrity of the record more than selective classification.
NY has selectively classified athletes since 1979....Pete Capone being the first. The record was broken a few times since.

Here comes the dual meet tournament and guys that haven't won the state tournament start holding it. I am not sure if Winky Shepard even placed.

Not the kids fault at all and congrats to Cody but the record holds different meaning than in the past.
LordNelson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby LImartin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:51 pm

hence, why 4X State Champions ('90s/'00s) are relative to being the former 2X State Champion ('70s/'80s).

The DEPTH of LESS Quality wrestlers has been deduced by half in NYS- since the mid '80s. Less wrestlers allows for Rule changes- and the change in Age allowance.
While I love some of these young titans - of today. Well, lets just say they would have been "bruised" 25-30 years back . Weight non- restrictions and double the amount wrestling would have made 7th and 8th graders- most 9th graders only on the Middle School Team.
LImartin
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Postby TheKurgan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:25 pm

knowsmorethanyou wrote:Just seems to me if were going to consider a hs record we shouldn't count jr high matches too.

And as far as my competition statement goes, wasn't it Marty who used to bash Nick simmons constantly for his win total in Michigan? Yes.

Funny how the shoe is on the other foot and now all of the sudden a few fans are going nuts when someone points out a glaring point.

It's not Jr. High matches they are counting knowsjack$hit. There are plenty of kids wrestling 96 who are in 9th grade and a few who wrestle 96 that are in 10th. Like I said, knowsjack$hit is your name.

So if a kid is in 8th grade but weighs 112 and wrestles varsity then that is a Jr. High match? The best kids this year in Section XI at 96 are all 9th graders you Dbag. Once again, knowsjack$hit.
TheKurgan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby TheKurgan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Once again, this guy is the same person who said that Kyle Dake sux and that he won't AA this year or amount to anything, not because of Dake's ability, but simply because Dake is from NY. Meanwhile the kid is ranked #1 hahahah and he calls himself knowsmorethanyou! Apparently not.

This guy also attacks NY but tries to pertend that he is from Nebraska. He had NE on his profile for where are you from. NE stands for Nebrasaka yet when asked he says that he is not from Nebraska. What??? So please enlighten us all and tell us what state you are actually from.
TheKurgan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Old_n_Slow » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:37 pm

LImartin wrote:Some of the BEST Wrestlers NYS has ever had - have come from Section IX. While the Section is "not deep" - it does have talent

Cody Ruggirello is one of the BEST Wrestlers in NYS
Not saying they havent had talent but it isn't even close to the talent up state. And so you know LIM, they aren't in up state.
Old_n_Slow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby lotrz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:24 pm

Valley Central and Monroe Wood-bury have always had tough teams, and it wasn't that long ago that Suffern and a few other schools were sec 9 as well, and had some of the best NYS wrestlers of it's time.

The total of Cody's wins is not what matters, it's the fact that he has more wins than any other NYS wrestler of his era.

It's an accomplishment that his friends/family/wrestling community wanted to acknowledge, so why are there people trying to discredit the guy ? It's a NYS record , not to be compared with Penn,Ohio,NJ, or any other state.

I agree that if it was a national HS record, then the fact that he wrestled extra matches due to being able to wrestle varsity as a 7th/8th grader would lessen the distinction, but that's not the case here.

Btw, I had a copy of a national HS sports record book, and most of the all time/seasonal records for most wins in wrestling were from Michigan wrestlers who had 60 + matches a year. Another record that I though was kind of tainted was most points scored in HS basketball for a season/career. The records were held by Louisiana HS kids that had upwards of 40-50 games a year or more in a few rural areas.

Give Cody props for his achievement :)

cya
lotrz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Next

Return to High School Wrestling