shuck
ankle pick

and more...
jerbufoon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Most unstoppable "bread n butter" move

Postby Matburn155 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Frank Molinaro "choosing down" no matter what.

On a serious note...Kinda obvious, but Karelins reverse lift.
Matburn155
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Most unstoppable "bread n butter" move

Postby iowawrestling8989 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:38 pm

jerbufoon wrote:olivers

double
shuck
ankle pick

and more...

I was gonna say Oliver, but then I realized that he has about 5 go to td's. He is an offensive machine.
iowawrestling8989
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby piggy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:15 am

Tony Gizoni's Gizoni and Andre Metzger's Metzger

Randy Lewis with his impossible leg

Jesse Reyes and Brian Dolph's inside trip

Oscar Wood's mixer
piggy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby JerseyTuff » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:03 am

In high school, we didn't call a "ball and chain" a ball and chain, we called it a Hodge (as in a Hodge and a half, or a Hodge and tilt, etc.). So I would have to assume Dan Hodge was pretty good with that particular move.
Hair was crazy, smile was wide :)
JerseyTuff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hammer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:12 am

hammer
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby jchapman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:43 am

Montell Marion's 5-on-2 with oil check
jchapman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Riot » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Scott Moore's leg-hook!
Riot

Postby motivation* » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Arsen Fadzaev- Fadzaev duck, sweep single, near arm far leg, or whatever you wanna call it.
motivation*
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Ohio_Wrestling_Admin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Wire wrote:Tommy Brands "rants' from the chair .... Unstoppable !!!

Olde Skol ... Tom Brown from the UW back in the day .... Far Side Cradle from the turk ... Lee Kemp in '76 was about the only guy who could stop it.

Favorite Tom Brands moment was at the Iowa-Ohio State Dual a few years back. Colt Sponseller was putting on an absolute clinic in the artof conditioning against Jake Kerr, ended up being nearly a tech on all takedowns and Kerr was pretty much the most physically exhausted human being on the planet....he could barely drag himself back to the center of the mat to get taken down again. At some point late in the match, someone from the stands yells- "hey Brands, your guy doesn't want to wrestle anymore!". Brands turns and seemed to look right at the guy, with some special Brands power to zoom right in on the heckler, and yells back from the bench- "What, you don't think that I can see that???". Classic response.
Ohio_Wrestling_Admin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby TripNSweep » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Robles seemed unstoppable with the tilt this year. I don't think there was a single person who got away on bottom from him without giving up some points.
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.
TripNSweep
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cbg » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:28 pm

Gene Mills using his half series.
cbg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby VakAttack » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Nobody I ever w restled was able to stop the patented VakAttack Back Attack.
"I think people are learning that you are not going to win EIWA championships wrestling Rutgers Style" ~ OtisCampbell
VakAttack
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Postby Ohio_Wrestling_Admin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:49 pm

TripNSweep wrote:Robles seemed unstoppable with the tilt this year. I don't think there was a single person who got away on bottom from him without giving up some points.

Truly I can't recall anyone dominating with a single move from the top position the way Robles did this year with his tilt....
Ohio_Wrestling_Admin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Wire » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:26 am

Ohio_Wrestling_Admin wrote:

Olde Skol ... Tom Brown from the UW back in the day .... Far Side Cradle from the turk ... Lee Kemp in '76 was about the only guy who could stop it.

Favorite Tom Brands moment was at the Iowa-Ohio State Dual a few years back. Colt Sponseller was putting on an absolute clinic in the artof conditioning against Jake Kerr, ended up being nearly a tech on all takedowns and Kerr was pretty much the most physically exhausted human being on the planet....he could barely drag himself back to the center of the mat to get taken down again. At some point late in the match, someone from the stands yells- "hey Brands, your guy doesn't want to wrestle anymore!". Brands turns and seemed to look right at the guy, with some special Brands power to zoom right in on the heckler, and yells back from the bench- "What, you don't think that I can see that???". Classic response.

I have to admit ... Brands does have a caustic sense of humor !!! He does make me laugh more often then not.
I have finally become the man my dog always thought I was!
Thanks Jay Hammond for all the memories.

BEAST MODE
Wire
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hawkfever » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:18 am

Ohio_Wrestling_Admin wrote:

I don't doubt your story one bit, no doubt in my mind it occurred just that way. Thanks for sharing it.

With that said, if you've watched Jake Kerr wrestle as much as Iowa fans have, many would tell you there was never a moment where it looked like he wanted to wrestle. Not a one. To say the least, his approach was lackadaisical, on a good day. Not trying to berate the young man, who was obviously good enough to wrestle at Iowa (and he beat some tough kids in his time - mostly with great defense and one great counter), but that is who he was, and it ultimately lost him his starting spot to someone that appeared to care a lot more in Aaron Janssen.

To say that Jake Kerr drove Tom Brands insane would be an understatement.

GO HAWKS !!!!!!!!!!!!
hawkfever
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby zwrestlercy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:52 am

I have to agree with EnglishBob and go with the John Smith low single. Mainly because of the caliber of competition where it was used. Not just college, but also in World and Olympic competition. It should be noted that it narrowly beat out the Jaddidi self-raising of his hand for the victory (oops).
zwrestlercy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby whmwolverine » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:19 am

I am sure there are some great ones but speaking from experience and watching it happen time after time Larry Gotcher and "the gotch" and Joey Gilbet in a moved we called "The Dubin" he actually hit it on Brands in the big ten final one year and I still to this day think Brands was pinned. Great topic..

I also have to add Bormet with "the crusher"
Last edited by whmwolverine on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whmwolverine
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby MadMardigain » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:34 pm

whmwolverine wrote:Joey Gilbet in a moved we called "The Dubin" he actually hit it on Brands in the big ten final one year and I still to this day think Brands was pinned. Great topic..

Well take a look. High scoring match by the end of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVwAJzU3_84

Gilbert just signed on as the new head coach at Calumet College of St. Joseph in northwestern Indiana.
MadMardigain
Gold Member
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to College Wrestling