Flowrestling

Flowrestling

Postby Wahawk90 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:13 pm

I know everyone is not having this problem but can't watch videos on Flo anymore. I dnt even go there anymore after trying to use chrome and IE, not at work or home.
Wahawk90
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Flowrestling

Postby rickybobby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:28 pm

I have had problems with Flo on Firefox, but it works fine on Chrome for me. Firefox crashes everytime.
I'm paraphrasing, but I recently heard Bill Zadick discussing weight cutting with a very talented high school wrestler. "Every moment you're in the wrestling room cutting weight is a moment you could've been working on technique and getting better," said Zadick. "Wrestling isn't fun if you're sucked out trying to lose weight. There is no enjoyment in cutting weight. You're too young for wrestling to feel like it's a job you hate. Enjoy wrestling. Wrestling is fun."
rickybobby
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby tech_fall » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:51 pm

I also very seldom frequent flo used to be my favorite site.
tech_fall
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby thecalibeast » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:55 pm

try using firefox.
thecalibeast

Postby jbresette » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:01 pm

It's because they have 80 videos per page. I rarely use it anymore either. If they had a subscription set aside that wasn't for technique wave that had a formal schedule listed i'd be more likely to subscribe every month. As a web developer myself that site is one of the most unfriendly user sites I have seen.

I'm not sure if they intentionally make it difficult for someone who doesn't know how to unsubscribe to their services or it's just terrible design. That is normally something you put in the FAQ's section. I don't think it's a complete loss because and I'm sure they will eventually get better (they are still new to this pay coverage business), but right now for me personally it is unusable.
jbresette
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby madcat11 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:06 pm

When you have a monopoly you can do whatever you want.
madcat11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby skikayaker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:10 pm

I use Chrome, I get good results clicking once on the "customize and control" option button upper right, then hover over "tools", then click "clear browsing data" or just use ctrl-shift-del to get the the same place. Select "beginning of time" and check'em all off. Close and reopen Chrome and you'll be set.
ASICS - (Latin) Anima Sana In Corpore Sano - (English) a sound mind in a sound body.
skikayaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fastwilly » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:53 pm

The guys at flo seem to be web snobs. Meaning, they don't care if there site is not user-friendly or that it doesn't work well with other browsers. They come off like "well, too bad, if you don't know that then it's your own fault. This is the way it should be."

If they cared they would incorporate responsive design for use on web and mobile devices and on all browsers. But they don't care because they don't have to - for now.

I don't go to the site much but here enough complaining to understand the problems.
Fastwilly
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby dsnc471 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:19 pm

I've had problems too, but usually you can find a browser that works. The reasons for videos not working are mysterious to me, because I had two computers, one at work and one at home, both running the same operating system, same version of Flash Player, and same version of Safari. Flo videos worked fine on one computer but not the other. When I tried to open a video, I just got that stupid icon but no video. However, when I open the videos in Chrome they work fine. So it's strange. I agree that the Flo site is not easy to navigate. There are a lot of matches there, but some of them are harder to find than they should be. But at the end of the day, most of the matches are free, and it allows video access that was unheard of 10 years ago.
dsnc471
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby skikayaker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:36 pm

With the NBC Olympics I clears all cache with IE, Firefox and Safari and tried everything to get the login page to my television carrier (Directv) so that I could be authorized to see the online stream programming. Only Chrome worked for me, and only after I cleared all cache to what they call the beginning of time. IMO, Chrome is also the fastest of the browsers. Before this year I was anti-Chrome and had friends try to recruit me to Chrome but I was a big Firefox fan at the time. Now, I use Chrome, and they even have an excellent browser for the iPhone (iOS 5 or later).
ASICS - (Latin) Anima Sana In Corpore Sano - (English) a sound mind in a sound body.
skikayaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fastwilly » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:48 pm

"But at the end of the day, most of the matches are free, and it allows video access that was unheard of 10 years ago."

This is the problem with wrestling, we accept the standard, good or bad. We always say "well it wasn't here 10 years ago." Well no crap. But it doesn't mean the product can still be poor.

Hundreds - yes, hundreds and even thousands, of other sites don't have issues with their product delivery, but in wrestling it's always "well, we didn't have it 10 years ago."

You know what, did we have amazon 10 years ago? Maybe so, can't remember now, but you know what, their customers don't say "We'll 10 years ago we didn't have this so this is great."

No, Amazon fixes it. Anyway, blah yah yo
Fastwilly
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby dsnc471 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:17 pm

Fastwilly wrote:"But at the end of the day, most of the matches are free, and it allows video access that was unheard of 10 years ago."

This is the problem with wrestling, we accept the standard, good or bad. We always say "well it wasn't here 10 years ago." Well no crap. But it doesn't mean the product can still be poor.

Hundreds - yes, hundreds and even thousands, of other sites don't have issues with their product delivery, but in wrestling it's always "well, we didn't have it 10 years ago."

You know what, did we have amazon 10 years ago? Maybe so, can't remember now, but you know what, their customers don't say "We'll 10 years ago we didn't have this so this is great."

No, Amazon fixes it. Anyway, blah yah yo

No, the problem with wrestling is not that we accept the standard. The problem is that wrestling doesn't have lucrative products to sell. You are comparing a free website (Flo), that covers a fringe sport with Amazon.com. Amazon is a multi-billion dollar operation. If Amazon's site sucked, people would use other sites to purchase products online and Amazon would fail as a business. But instead, they sell a good product and are rewarded with hundreds of millions of dollars per year in profit. If you are unhappy with Flo, you are free to start your own website and do it they way you think it should be done. But what you will find is that making the perfect website that covers wrestling nationwide would cost quite a bit of money. So if you can come up with creative ways to cover the cost, and garner a large enough market to make a profit while running the website, go for it. It's true that there are many great web services out there, but most of these are not free. Netflix, Hulu Plus, MLB.tv, etc. all provide products online but you have to pay somewhere between 10-25 dollars per month for the service, depending on the options. When you have millions of customers willing to pay that, you can make quite a profit. But in a fringe sport like wrestling, how many people do you think you could get to pay 25 dollars per month for a website? It's the market that sets the value of products. And the market for wrestling is extremely small.
dsnc471
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fastwilly » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:12 pm

That opinion is all find and dandy, but you avoided the famous

"But at the end of the day, most of the matches are free, and it allows video access that was unheard of 10 years ago."

Yeah, well, 10 years ago George Bush was president too, and you know what, people are still using that excuse too.
Fastwilly
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby buck » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:37 pm

My 9 year old good conduct a better interview than Flo. So painful to listen to.
buck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dsnc471 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Fastwilly wrote:That opinion is all find and dandy, but you avoided the famous

Yeah, well, 10 years ago George Bush was president too, and you know what, people are still using that excuse too.

How am I avoiding it? I agree Flo's site could be better, but I don't have the time or money to make a better one. If you do, I'd be happy to have a look at your website.
dsnc471
Gold Member
Gold Member

Return to College Wrestling